Your advantage when choosing a topic for your history paper is that there are so many to choose from. There’s no shortage of angles you can take when looking at history topics. However, it might be difficult to find something that suits you or that you feel is original enough. The following 10 suggestions should give you an idea of how to go about the process.
- Choose something interesting. Your readers can tell if you have enthusiasm in your writing or not. Sometimes you are assigned a narrow category within history and you have to choose a topic within that category. This definitely limits your options but you can look into some different perspectives within that category.
- Look for something you know about. Choosing an entirely unknown topic will add to the amount of work you have to do. Make it a little easier on yourself by selecting a subject you already have some knowledge in.
- Narrow down the focus of your topic to a manageable size. If it’s too broad you won’t be able to cover it sufficiently.
- Look for interesting perspectives or angles. Cover your topic differently than other writers have. Look for one interesting element within your topic to highlight.
- Begin your research. This will help you to clarify exactly what you want to do. You will more easily find the focus or pathway you want to take.
- Brainstorm about your idea. Write down everything you can think of that’s related to it. Look over your list and see what additional ideas pop into your mind.
- Look through your school books and notes you have taken. Do any interesting bits catch your attention? Explore some new ideas.
- Ask your teacher or look online for additional ideas. If nothing you’ve uncovered thus far sparks an interest, take time to do some more looking. You can also ask your librarian for sources of new ideas.
- Re-use a topic you’ve seen before, but add your own unique twist to it so it’s slightly different. The more unique it is and the more “you” it is, the more interest you will have in writing it. The process will then seem easier to you.
- Have you left the topic selection to the last minute? Do you feel stuck and don’t know what to do? Hire an online writing company to choose your topic and give you a list of references to use for your research. That will definitely get you started quickly.
Now that you are armed with 10 great suggestions, it’s time to start writing!